This Italian bread recipe caught me by its beauty. This flower shaped bread is one of those recipes I do love to prepare. It is easy and simple and gives you so much satisfaction.
It is a simple dough with olive oil that with just a couple of cuts and twists presents you this special final result. It is a pleasure to take it to the table and see your family’s surprised faces.
I prepared the dough this morning, before going out, using my kitchen robot (it can be knead manually too). I left it inside the oven (turned off) to rise for even too much, as I baked it in the afternoon. Some chefs do not like to leave the yeasts to rest that much. Personally I believe it gives a lighter bread (or pizza). It’s a matter of taste; for the recipe, consider it has to double its size and a couple of hours should be more than enough.
Spread the dough on a lightly floured surface and, with a rolling pin, create a round shape.
Place a cup or anything round to cover its center. Brush olive oil on the uncovered bread surface.
Using a sharp knife, cut it in equal petals. I divided it in 4, then each quarter in four more pieces. If you make less cuts you’ll have less and thicker petals.
Twist each petal twice.
Brush with oilthe pieces that were down and weren’t brushed before.
Spread oil also in the center part.
I used a hard paper support to help distributing the poppy seeds without letting them go to the petals.
Done! 40 minutes in 180°C/356°F and it’s ready to be eaten! Beautiful, isn’t it?
A Beautiful Flower Shaped Italian Bread Recipe
An olive oil bread with a flower shape
250 gr of strong flour
250 gr of all purpose flour
300 ml of warm water
12 gr of baker’s yeast
1 tsp of sugar
50 ml of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp of salt
- Melt the yeast in little water, together with the sugar.
- Mix the oil and salt with the remaining water.
- Put the flours into the mixer’s bowl, turn it on and add the yeast and water mixture.
- Add the rest of the water with oil.
- Work the dough for 10 minutes.
- Put it into a bowl, cover it and let it rest until it doubles.
- Turn on the oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Spread the dough on a floured surface and roll it out creating a circle.
- Place a cup on its middle to separate it from the petals.
- Using a kitchen brush,spread olive oil on the uncovered surface.
- Using a sharp knife, cut it in 24 petals (divide in quarters and then each quarter in four pieces).
- Twist two times each petal.
- Brush with oil the parts that were covered.
- Uncover the middle.
- Brush it with oil and spread poppy seeds on it.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Buon appetito!