I used to buy this ice cream sandwich and keep some on our home’s freezer. I was really fond of this ice cream with biscuit, and so were my children when born and grown up.
That’s why when I saw its recipe I didn’t think about too much before trying it… and it worked at the first try. And we liked it at first try too
It’s a simple biscuit (to which dough I added chocolate chips) filled with a cream mixture, to which I also added chocolate chips.
I used fresh cream, and I believe it makes a difference (instead of packed ones), but it’s up to you. The original recipe that I found on Misya blog, requires cream, without specifying it has to be fresh.
It is a good recipe to be prepared in advance and have available into your freezer for a sweet tooth, for a snack, to offer something fresh to an unexpected visit during Summertime days.
An Italian Classical Ice Cream Sandwich… But Homemade
Homemade ice cream with biscuit
- for the biscuit
4 1/2 tbsp of sugar
1/5 cup of butter
1 1/2 + 1 tbsp of flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
chocolate chips (optional)
- For the ice cream
1 egg white
3/5 cup of icing sugar
4/5 cup of fresh cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Beat the egg with the sugar until it becomes foamy.
- Add the melted butter (cooled) and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour and the baking powder.
- Mix it all until well combined.
- Add the chocolate chips if desired.
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough out to a thickness of 3mm/0.1in.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the biscuits and place on an oven pan covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are colored.
- Let them cool.
- Beat the egg white until stiff and add the icing sugar and beat until well combined.
- Whip the cream separately.
- Softly mix the egg white with the whipped cream and add the chocolate chips.
- Separate the biscuits in two and place half of them face down on a surface.
- Put the cream on each biscuit and cover with the other half.
- Put in freezer at least for two hours before serving.
- Buon appetito!