I was looking for a homemade apple pie recipe easy enough not to occupy my mind too much, but attractive enough to be chosen amongst so many recipes available everywhere.
I found it. A pretty simple recipe – even if a little bit time consuming regarding peeling and cutting apples, but I’d better choose another pie if I did not feel like peeling apples ;-).
I had bookmarked this recipe a while ago because I immediately liked its appearance, but thought it was too difficult to make. Well, yesterday I read the whole recipe…and it was simpler than it seemed to be.
I prepared it yesterday afternoon because I had a couple of friends for dinner. Well, less than 24 hours late, there is no apple pie anymore…
I served it with a small cream ice cream scoop yesterday, and the remaining we ate this morning for breakfast ;-).
What attracted me at first was the apple slices, but the crust is just as delicious as the apples. Thin, friable and…irresistible.
The only condition to prepare this homemade apple pie is to have some time before serving it, as the crust needs to rest twice, each time for 1 hour.
- 1¼ cups flour
- flour for dusting
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter chilled, cut in small pieces
- ¼ Tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp ice cold water
- 6 red apples, peeled, cut in halves and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp of sugar
- 3 Tbsp of butter
- Combine flour, 8 Tbsp of butter, salt and brown sugar in a food processor and make about 10 pulses, just until you get crumbles - you don't want to get a mass, but crumbles.
- Add 3 Tbsp of ice cold water and pulse 3 or 4 times more.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and work it only the necessary to have it homogeneous.
- Spread the dough between two plastic wrap pieces creating a round shape.
- Let it rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- After one hour, roll it out forming a circle larger than your pan (use a removable bottom pan). I used a 9.4in/24cm one.
- Place the dough inside the pan creating a border.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for one more hour into the fridge.
- In the meanwhile wash and peel the apples.
- Cut them in halves and eliminate the seeds and hard parts.
- Preheat the oven to 356°F/180°C.
- Take each half and slice it thinly, leaving the slices together.
- Take the dough from the fridge and place the apples inside it.
- Begin from the borders, gently fanning each apple half out.
- Fill any space with apple slices.
- When finished, sprinkle 2 Tbsp of sugar on them and distribute 3 Tbsp of butter cut in small cubes all over the pie.
- Bake for 65 minutes.
- Buon appetito!