Fried zucchini are irresistible. Fried eggplants are wonderful. Fried food is tasty by itself, but it is even better when you have natural and fresh ingredients inside the batter.
My family knows how seldom I fry. I do it very rarely and so, it has to be for a good reason . I tried this vegan batter made with only rice flour and beer that is really light as taste and digestion. It just covers the vegetable but leave all its taste alive.
When I fry, I always try to have the lightest result as possible, just as with those fried potatoes recipe I posted recently. I prepared these fried vegetables for lunch and there were no leftovers nor heaviness after lunch. This rice flour batter is completely approved by my family .
I didn’t add red peppers as my husband don’t like them, but added sage leaves that I had never tried before. The result was great, it has a strong but inviting taste that makes you feel like eating one after another.
To prepare the batter, put 4/5 cup of rice flour into a bowl and add clear beer stirring with a fork until it becomes like a liquid cream. I used a little bit less than a cup of beer. The batter has to be creamy to wrap the vegetables, but not too thick.
You can use this vegan batter to fry mushrooms, red peppers, small pieces of cheese and so many other yummy food .
- 1 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1 cup of clear beer (maybe less)
- oil to fry
- Wash the zucchini and eggplant and cut their leaves and extremities.
- Wash the sage leaves.
- Cut the zucchini in diagonal slices, to make bigger slices.
- Cut the eggplant in slices.
- Put the rice flour into a bowl and, stirring with a fork, add clear beer until it becomes a liquid cream.
- Add salt to taste.
- Put abundant oil in a fry pan and turn the gas on (high).
- Take each piece (better if using a kitchen tweezer not to punch the vegetable so that it won’t absorb extra oil) and put into the boiling oil.
- Do not put many at the same time as it will lower the oil temperature avoiding a crispy fry that is what we want.
- As soon as they brown, transfer them to a dish covered with absorbent kitchen paper to eliminate the ecceding oil and proceed with the other pieces until finished.
- Serve immediately.
- Buon appetito!