I was thinking about preparing dried tomatoes at home for two main reasons: first because I like them and second, I had such a lot of tomatoes in my fridge and veranda that I had to find a solution to use them.
My husband brought home 3 boxes full of fresh organic tomatoes a friend presented him. I first prepared some tomato sauce; then some portions of puttanesca sauce for my son, but after many tomato salads I had to find another use for them!
My sister came with my father to spend some days with us for my birthday and as she owns a catering service, she always have great ideas and recipes to suggest . She told me that during a period she used to work often in São Paulo, she used to shop for groceries in the big town market. There was a sir who provided some specialties for her that gave her this special recipe for homemade dried tomatoes. He took a sheet from his folder and gave it to her, saying that a lady was earning good money selling these dried tomatoes prepared by herself.
More than a recipe for dried tomatoes, it is a how-to-do it, as there are only three ingredients: tomatoes, sugar and salt!
Well, my sister prepared it yesterday and today for lunch (she left this morning ) we were in three and ate half of the two trays she prepared!
I won’t say it is cheaper than buying them at the supermarket, as you will need a long cooking time and will spend electricity (as me) or gas for your oven. But… they’re delicious. I ate them by themselves, with mozzarella, with grilled eggplants… really wonderful. I am already planning to prepare more of them.
Homemade Dried Tomatoes, Super Simple Recipe From My Sister
A simple recipe for oven dried tomatoes
20 mature tomatoes
4 tbsp of sugar
2 tbsp of salt
- Wash the tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 120°C/248°F.
- Cut them in halves and eliminate the seeds.
- Place them on oven trays (I used two) with the inside part up and sprinkle the sugar and salt mixture on them.
- Put them into the oven.
- After about 20 minutes, check to see if they have already watered.
- If so, take the tray out of the oven and, using a kitchen tweezers, empty each one of them.
- Repeat this every now and then until they become too soft to be depleted.
- At this point, turn them down and continue until they become soft and dry.
- Buon appetito!