I called it a chef salad recipe because I first ate in my daughter’s boyfriend restaurant prepared by their chef. It is, as it often happens, a simple idea with few but good ingredients.
Today is Monday, and after preparing my mother-in-law stuffed zucchini, I felt like turning to my usual lighter daily diet.
You need just fresh champignon mushrooms, rocket, Grana or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt.
Lightly toast the pine nuts using a non adherent pan. Just a few minutes moving the pan constantly.
Eliminate the stumps of the mushrooms using only the upper part of the champignon and peel them with a sharp thin knife (it comes out easily if you begin from its basis). Then slice them using a mandoline. Mix the olive oil with the balsamic vinegar.
I used a round pastry cutter (pastry ring), where I first put some rocket, then champignon, salt, oil + vinegar, Parmigiano and then repeated. I did it just to imitate the presentation the chef used to serve it, but you can also mix it all in a bowl as a common salad.
Chef Salad Recipe
A light salad with rocket and mushrooms
6 champignon mushrooms
2 cups of fresh rocket
3 tablespoons of Parmigiano Reggiano ( or Grana) cut in thin slices
1 tablespoon of pine nuts
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Take the mushrooms, eliminate the stumps and peel the upper part using a sharp knife – it comes out easily if you begin from its basis.
- Slice them using a mandoline.
- Toast lightly the pine nuts using a non-adherent pan for a few minutes.
- Mix the olive oil with the balsamic vinegar.
- Using a pastry ring (or even a bowl) place rocket, slices of champignons, salt, a bit of oil and vinegar mixture, slices of cheese and repeat until ingredients finish.
- Buon appetito!