I have always tried different baked eggplant parmesan recipes as I always try not to fry. I have found a good one using grilled or baked purple eggplants, but this recipe here adds that taste of greed that grilled things usually don’t have
It takes a little bit more time than the grilled ones, but really a bit. It looks like an obvious recipe…but I’d never tried or saw it before.
I found it in Delicious Declassified blog, from the beautiful Tara. I tried it quite immediately, so curious I was regarding a quite obvious recipe…that I hadn’t think about before.
I used different types of eggplants (the ones I had home). You just have to coat each slice in eggs and breadcrumbs and bake them for 20 to 30 minutes. After that, just prepare it as a “common” eggplant parmesan with layers of eggplants, mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese (I added a bit of grated Pecorino too) and tomato sauce.
- 2 medium to large eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- Extra virgin olive Oil
- Tomato sauce
- 100gr Mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp of grated Pecorino (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Cover an oven pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the mozzarella in small cubes/pieces.
- Wash and peel the eggplants.
- Cut them in thin slices of 0.5cm/0.2in.
- Beat the eggs slightly and coat the eggplant slices into the eggs and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the slices on the pan covered with parchment paper trying to overlay them the less as possible (better not to overlay them at all).
- Spray (with an Olive Oil Sprayer some extra virgin olive oil on them.
- Bake for 15 min and then turn them upside down. Bake for 15 minutes more.
- In an oven resistant pan, put a couple of Tbsp of tomato sauce.
- Create a 1st layer of eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese.
- Add some mozzarella cubes.
- Add a couple of Tbsp of tomato sauce,
- Go ahead repeating these layers until the top, finishing with the tomato sauce (you can be generous because the breadcrumbs will absorb part of it).
- Sprinkle some grated cheese and bake for about 20 to 30 min (until crispy on top).
- Let it rest for 15 min before cutting and serving.