I prepared this eggplant pie a couple of months ago for the first time. My son liked it so much that I prepared it again and again. He says it is one of his favorites now.
I tend to fry very rarely. I use to say that a recipe has to be special for me to fry . And this one surely is.
This eggplant pie is pretty simple to prepare as the dough is made simply with flour, extra virgin olive oil and water and needs no experience or expertise to be prepared. The eggplants are just fried and then the pie is composed with layers of eggplants, eggs and grated cheese. That’s all.
It’s a good recipe for picnic and outdoor activities (where you have to take something to eat).
- for the dough:
- 250 g of flour
- 100 ml of water
- 4 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- for the filling:
- 4 medium eggplants
- 4 eggs
- grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbsp of milk
- marjoram (optional)
- bread crumbs
- oil to fry
- Wash and cut the eggplants in slices. Put them into a colander, salt them and let them rest to lose their water.
- With a food processor or manually, prepare the dough putting the flour on a working surface (or into the food processor bowl turned to kneading), and adding the olive oil and the salt.
- Add the water slowly until it becomes a soft and homogeneous dough. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest into the fridge for half an hour.
- Put the oil into a pan and pass each slice of eggplant on the flour before frying it.
- After frying let them rest on absorbent paper while you fry the remaining ones.
- Turn on the oven to 190°C/374°F.
- On a floured surface, spread the dough with a rolling pin until it becomes a little bit larger than the baking tray (I used a 7.8×11.8in one).
- Cover the baking tray with parchment paper and then with the dough, leaving the borders falling outside.
- Beat the eggs together with the milk.
- Make a first layer of fried eggplants, then add ⅓ of the eggs, sprinkle some grated Parmesan and some marjoram.
- Repeat for three times, finishing with the bread crumbs.
- Bend the borders to the inside and bake for 1 hour or until the dough is colored.
- Buon appetito!